X Marks the Swem Spot

1949 Aerial view of W&M CampusThis is a 1949 aerial photo of campus long before any of the “new campus” buildings.  The "X" marks the spot where Swem Library would be built in 1964.

In the 1948-1949 session there were 2,047 students; classes began on September 26 and commencement was on June 11.  At the 1949 graduation there were 458 bachelors, 3 masters and 1 PhD degree conferred; and the W&M football team beat the Richmond Spiders 34-0 on October 29. Go Tribe!