Our materials (physical and electronic collections) are available to anyone for use on-site in the library. However, borrowing privileges for visitors are limited in order to ensure that W&M faculty, staff and students have the resources they need.
Who can obtain visitor borrowing privileges?
W&M alumni and residents of Williamsburg, James City County or York County receive visitor privileges at no cost.
Members of certain organizations (W&M volunteers, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation employees, Christopher Wren Association members, Virginia teachers, etc.) receive visitor privileges. To find out if you are eligible, see our Eligibility Policy.
Visitor Borrowing Privileges:
- borrow books, government documents, music scores, and music recordings
- check out up to 20 items for 30 days at a time, with one renewal available per item
- borrow materials from Swem Library, Music Library, Chemistry Library and Physics Library
- do not allow you to check out media equipment (iPads, laptops, recording equipment, etc.)
- do not allow you to borrow materials from the Law Library, VIMS Library, Education Library, or Business Library
- do not allow you to borrow materials from our Interlibrary Loan Department. Your public library is where you would place these requests
Visitor borrowing privileges are issued for one year or for the length of the special program, whichever is shorter. However, privileges can be renewed.
For your privacy and protection, we require that you present your I.D. card (drivers license or other form of identity) each time you borrow materials.
To check out materials, visit the circulation desk.
Visitors are responsible for:
- returning all materials by the due date
- reading and responding to all library notices
- notifying us if your card is lost or stolen
- paying all fines and fees for overdue or unreturned items
- notifying us of any changes in your contact information