Our library materials (physical and electronic collections) are available to anyone for use on-site in the library.
Checking out materials
As part of a partnership between William & Mary Libraries and Williamsburg Regional Library (WRL), individuals who live in Williamsburg, James City County or York County can receive borrowing privileges at W&M Libraries at no cost. Likewise, W&M students, faculty and staff can receive library privileges at WRL with their W&M ID, including those who do not live in Williamsburg, James City County or York County.
Members of certain organizations receive visitor borrowing privileges as well, including W&M alumni and university volunteers. To find out if you are eligible, see our Eligibility Policy.
Visitor Borrowing Privileges:
- borrow books, government documents, music scores, and music recordings
- check out up to 20 items for 30 days at a time, with one renewal available per item
- borrow materials from Swem Library, Music Library, Chemistry Library and Physics Library
- do not allow you to check out media equipment (iPads, laptops, recording equipment, etc.)
- do not allow you to borrow materials from the Law Library, VIMS Library, Education Library, or Business Library
- do not allow you to borrow materials from our Interlibrary Loan Department. Your public library is where you would place these requests.
Visitor borrowing privileges are issued for one year. However, privileges can be renewed.
For your privacy and protection, we require that you present your I.D. card (drivers license or other form of identity) each time you borrow materials.
To check out materials, visit the circulation desk at Swem Library.
Visitors are responsible for:
- returning all materials by the due date
- reading and responding to all library notices
- notifying us if materials are lost or stolen
- paying all fines and fees for overdue or unreturned items
- notifying us of any changes in your contact information