W&M Libraries assembled a broad coalition of library employees to create a reopening plan for the Libraries. The advice and regulations from the CDC, the Virginia governor's office and the W&M Emergency Management Team informed this plan. In the event this guidance changes, and with the rapid changes of the COVID-19 pandemic, this plan and the dates outlined below may change. We will keep this page up to date as we learn more.
May - June 6
- All buildings closed to users
- Electronic access to library resources only
- Limited staff at Swem and Wolf Law Libraries to accept returns
June 8 - 12
Same as above plus:
- Digitize course materials for online summer courses
- Processing of quarantined returned materials
- Student, faculty and community library workshops online
Mid June - August 5th
Same as above plus:
- Click & Collect: contact-free pickup of library materials at Swem, Wolf Law Library and VIMS Hargis Library for W&M faculty, staff and students
- Swem and Wolf Law Libraries open with limited hours (10am - 2pm, M-F) to W&M community
- Service desks open, collections open for browsing, public computers and printers available for use
- Study rooms remain closed
- Instruction and research consultations continue online
We will ensure the following steps are met before moving into the next phase:
Before orange phase, ensure the following are completed:
- Master calendar to manage contact tracing
- PPE is available for all staff onsite
Before yellow phase:
- Limit traffic to pickup area in lobby
- Smocks for book handling
- Procedures and supplies in place for cleaning books and media equipment
- Schedule for cleaning and sanitizing high traffic areas in place
Before blue phase:
- Building prep completed:
- Plexiglass shields at service desks
- Hand sanitizer stations installed
- Social distancing signage and marked pathways for elevators, stairwells and service desks
- Touchless door openers installed
- Limit seating capacity and available computer stations at shared tables
Before green phase:
- Disposable masks available for patrons
- Supporting Teaching, Learning, & Research
We recognize the critical role we play in supporting the university’s mission to continue teaching, learning & research. This plan is designed to provide access to as many library resources and services as possible while allowing library users and staff to work safely together.
Decisions about staffing, services, and operations have been made in accordance with CDC and state guidance, as well as with the advice and regulations from Environmental Health & Safety and the Emergency Management Team regarding best practices during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the event that this guidance changes, our plans will be modified to ensure compliance.
- Public Health & Adaptability
Given the rapidly changing circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize that the start dates for each phase are tentative and subject to change. We also recognize that reopening may not be a linear process, and that we may need to move ‘backwards’ between phases to continue working safely in the event of a spike in cases or a campus outbreak.
Our complete reopening strategy document (pdf) is also available online.