Past Exhibits

  • By considering Lady Skipwith’s ownership of books, how her library differed from those of men, and what it allowed her to do, we gain some insight into the intellectual life of elite women during an important period of American history.
  • This exhibit features student artwork from Chinese calligraphy courses taught at William & Mary in MLL's Chinese Studies Program.
  • The Cabell Family Papers in Swem’s Special Collections Research Center include correspondence, publications, genealogical records, literary manuscripts, accounts and land transactions, dating from 1693 to 1958.
  • This year, William & Mary’s Earl Gregg Swem Library marks its 50th birthday. Taken from the University Archives Photograph Collection, the images in this exhibit show the planning, construction, and opening of Swem Library in 1966.
  • This exhibit is a photographic glimpse into the archaeology of the College of William and Mary over the last 70 years.
  • This exhibit features publications and research from current faculty members in the English Department.
  • In the late seventeenth century, colleges usually built their library collections from donations, not college funds. The main donor for William & Mary’s first library was Francis Nicholson, the royal governor of Virginia, who gave over 200 volumes in 1698.