The Special Collections Research Center of William & Mary Libraries is pleased to announce that it will award up to four travel grants in the maximum amount of $1,500 each to faculty members, graduate students, and/or independent researchers to support research use of its collections. Writers, creative and performing artists, filmmakers and journalists are welcome to apply.
For information on the manuscripts, rare books, and university archives held in the Special Collections Research Center, please visit the Special Collections webpage. Strengths of the collections include, but are not limited to, books on dogs, fore-edge painting books, Virginia family papers and libraries, twentieth-century Southern politics, women’s diaries, travel diaries, veterans’ letters, notable alumni, and university history. Prospective applicants are encouraged to discuss their research project and the collections that might support it with Special Collections staff before submitting an application.
A successful candidate for the 2018-2019 Travel Scholarship will:
- Reside beyond a 100-mile radius of Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Not be a current William & Mary employee or student.
- Submit a research plan that draws heavily on the manuscripts, rare books, and/or University Archives collections.
- Submit a brief budget with anticipated expenses.
- Commit to schedule their research visit for the 2018–2019 cycle (May 1, 2018 and April 30, 2019).
- Agree to submit a brief research report (1-2 pages) on your findings and experiences.
- Consider placing any published work resulting from your research into the William & Mary Institutional Repository.
- Participate in the intellectual life of the university by either making a public presentation of research findings and experiences, meeting with faculty and students with similar research interests, or both.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- The merit of the research plan.
- The demonstrated need for in-person access to the holdings of the Special Collections Research Center.
How to Apply
Please submit the following:
- A brief research plan (500 words maximum) that describes the proposed project, lists the specific materials to be consulted, and explains how these materials will benefit your research. Please name the document: LastName_FirstName_research_plan.pdf.
- A brief budget of anticipated expenses. Please name the document: LastName_FirstName_budget.pdf.
- Current curriculum vitae. Please name the document LastName_FirstName_cv.pdf.
Send all application materials by the end of the day on April 15 to email@example.com with the email subject line: 2018-2019 Research Travel Grants. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090 with any questions.
- March 7, 2018: Application period opens.
- April 15, 2018: All application materials are due.
- April 30, 2018: Successful applicants are notified by email.
- May 1, 2018: Grant cycle begins.
- April 30, 2019: Deadline for submitting research report.
What expenses does the grant cover?
Grant money may be used for the following:
- Transportation expenses (including air, train or bus tickets; car rental; mileage using a personal vehicle; parking fees);
- Accommodations (daily standard range of $108 for Williamsburg/James City and York Counties, Virginia);
- Meals & Incidental Expenses (daily standard per diem rate of $64 for Williamsburg/James City and York Counties, Virginia).
Expenses are reimbursed as they are incurred, but must adhere to the William & Mary Travel Guidelines. The submission of a William & Mary substitute W-9 Cardinal form is required. Original receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.