This position is for students currently enrolled in a graduate program, or for students entering a graduate program in the fall. We are specifically looking for candidates who are available to work Sundays 12:30pm-3:30pm Mondays 11:45am-6:30pm, Tuesdays 2pm-5pm, Wednesdays 9-3:30pm, Thursdays 1-8:15pm and Fridays 9pm-4pm, with some flexibility to pick up other shifts as needed.
Swem Circulation’s mission is to ensure that all patrons find the materials they need quickly and easily, and that they receive prompt, knowledgeable, and friendly assistance. As the face of the library, all Circulation employees have the responsibility to interpret library policy and should make decisions based on good judgment. Paid training provided.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. W&M Libraries is committed to building a culturally diverse cohort and strongly encourages applications from underrepresented candidates.
ADA Considerations: This job requires the ability to lift 20 pounds, push a cart full of books, reach, stoop, and climb stepstools to retrieve and shelve materials.
- Assist patrons, often the first point of contact for thousands of patrons each year.
- Interpret library policies and procedures for patrons.
- Check-out/in materials.
- Answers questions in person, by phone, email, and instant message
- Assists students in finding library resources using the library catalog and various databases
- Troubleshoot basic issues with the self-check machine and library scanners.
- Open and close the Library, at times without a full-time staff member present.
- Route requests and questions to the appropriate department, if they cannot be fulfilled at Circulation.
- Respond to building issues and emergencies using best judgment in the absence of a full-time staff member.
- Serve in a supervisory role in the absence of full-time staff members, directing other student employees as needed.
- Willingness to work one or more closing shift per week, ending at 12:00am.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate positively and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library records.
- Ability to work independently, to identify problems and solutions, to initiate and implement solutions.
- Must be willing to commit to a set schedule upon acceptance.
- Customer service and/or supervisory experience strongly preferred.