The Swem Library book donation policy reflects the realities of managing library collections, which focus on support for faculty research and the College’s curriculum, as well as the costs for storage, staffing and general overhead, causing the library to be highly selective in the materials being accepted. Below are some brief guidelines for the acceptance of gift materials for the general collections.
- Swem Library does not accept unsolicited donations via drop-off or mail.
- If interested in donating books or other materials to Swem Library, provide a title list (include author, title and publication date) to Stephen Clark, Swem collections strategist (phone: 757-221-3107, email: email@example.com, Swem Research Department Rm. 131).
- Swem Library staff members will review title lists to determine whether materials meet the needs of the library collection. A response will be made informing prospective donors whether materials will be accepted by email or phone.
- Guidelines for accepting materials:
- Materials which support the research and curricular needs of the College
- Faculty review books
- Materials must be in good condition and do not duplicate what is already in the collection
If interested in donating rare books or other unique/special materials to Swem Library, please contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090.
A list of alternative sites to consider for donation within the immediate Williamsburg vicinity are: