Starting August 19, Special Collections will reopen for onsite research by appointment only for current William & Mary faculty, students, and staff. We are accepting appointment requests for Mondays-Fridays between 10am – 4pm and require two business days’ notice. Please email us at email@example.com with requests for appointments, virtual research consultations, and any other questions.
At this time, we are unable to accept onsite researchers from outside of the William & Mary academic community to protect the health and safety of our campus. As feasible, we will digitize materials for both W&M and outside researchers in accordance with our copy policy, with priority given to internal W&M requests. Visit the W&M Digital Archive to access our digitized manuscript, university archives, and rare book collections.
The Special Collections Research Center is...
A center for research
A learning lab
- Our original manuscripts, rare books and periodicals and other materials are valuable teaching resources.
- Learn more about how we support faculty research and instruction.
A place to connect with William & Mary's past
- The University Archives collects materials documenting the history of the university from the 1600s to the present.
A major historical repository
- Focused on Virginia history, our collections include diaries, letters, and other records of the daily lives of Americans of all backgrounds.
- View our search tool list.
- See our research guides and just-for-fun YouTube videos.
- We showcase many of our collections through an active exhibits program.
Ask Special Collections
Chat is available Monday - Friday, 10am - 2pm.