What Are Primary Sources?
- First-hand information from a person who witnessed or participated in an event
- Original materials, created at the time of an event or soon thereafter
- Can include scientific data, statistics, or an official transcript of a government proceeding
Primary sources are format neutral and can be almost anything. Below are some examples:
- Original documents in archives and libraries
- Collections of letters, diaries, autobiographies
- Digitized materials on the web
- Sound recordings
Where to Find Primary Sources
W&M Libraries' Special Collections is one place to start your search for primary sources. Visit their website to learn more about their collections and search tools.