Need research materials not available at W&M? We can get items for you from other libraries through interlibrary loan (ILL).
Faculty and staff may place ILL requests for books/DVDs available in any W&M Library circulating collection to be checked out and delivered to your campus mailbox through our Library Express Delivery Service.
In order to participate in our faculty/staff delivery service, you must have a campus mailbox in a supervised area accessible to us M-F 8am -5pm.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
ILL service is available to W&M (including VIMS) faculty (current and emeritus), staff, and students. Those associated with the W&M Law School, Colonial Williamsburg, or Richard Bland College should contact those libraries directly for these services.
- You may request books, chapters, articles, and other materials that aren't available at any W&M library. You may also request materials located in our Offsite Storage facility.
- You may not request items on reserve, in reference, or located in Special Collections (US ILL Code Section 2.0).
- We do not generally recommend requesting textbooks via ILL. Most libraries will not loan them, and if we are able to obtain them, the loan period is usually not more than a few weeks.
- Check the library catalog and the W&M journal collection to see if an item is available here.
- ILL delivery times vary, but most articles are available electronically within 2-3 days; many books arrive in 5 days or less.
When materials arrive:
- Items designated as "IN LIBRARY USE ONLY" will be held at the circulation desk for use in Swem Library. Other items requested by faculty and staff will be delivered directly to a campus mailbox. (To opt out of our faculty/staff delivery service, please contact us.) Materials received for VIMS users will be delivered to Hargis Library. For all other patrons, you or an authorized user designated in your ILLiad account can pick up your materials from the circulation desk--always show a picture ID.
- Books received via Interlibrary Loan are intended for individual research use and cannot be placed on reserve.
- All books must be returned to the circulation desk on or before the date they are due (see bookstrap) unless they are eligible for renewal. (Lenders have the option to "recall" a book before the due date if it is needed by one of their own patrons.)
If you have a question about the delivery of materials to your campus departmental mailbox, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the circulation desk: 757-221-3072.
Any other questions? Please contact ILL.