The Warren E. Burger Collection consists of the lifetime professional papers and memorabilia of the late Chief Justice of the United States and former William & Mary Chancellor, Warren E. Burger (1907-1995). The exhibit provides a glimpse at some of the photographs and memorabilia, as well as an overview of the recreation of Burger's Supreme Court office inside the Special Collections Research Center.
This exhibit uses different versions of "A Visit From St. Nicholas" to explore the parameters and possibilities of parody and pastiche. As the different iterations show, both tradition and derision have many faces and functions, and these new versions depict religions and cultures that often are underrepresented in holiday literature.
When Janet Brown, Lynn Briley, and Karen Ely first moved into their freshmen dorms in Jefferson Hall at William & Mary, they were unaware of the significance of their presence. The three women were the first African Americans in residence at the college, a fact unbeknownst to them until they were interviewed for the Flat Hat newspaper in October of their freshmen year. Brave Enough to be First serves to honor this legacy, to shed light on just how far we have come, and to inspire continued diversity and inclusion.
The mural Lemonade: A Picture of America was created by visiting artist Steve Prince and participants in the Summer 2017 “Workshop on Black Expressive Culture” Africana Studies 307 / Art 330 course to commemorate the history of African Americans at William & Mary.
Film posters generally draw attention to movies that have been projected on screens. These carteles de cine, however, reference “ghost films” that were never made. These images showcase Cuba’s rich cinema and vibrant graphic design.
The books represented in this exhibit were intended to give mostly French and English audiences a view-through the lens of costume-into the lives of peoples and places near and far, from the recent and distant past.
- The Richard Manning Bucktrout Daybook and Ledger, 1850-1866
- William Taylor's, a Civil War soldier, transcribed letters
- Her Royal Majesty: The Queen's Visit, 1957
- Mary Comes to the College with William, 1918-1919 Blog
- The Charter of the College of William and Mary, The Transfer to the Faculty, Act to Establish a Normal School, and Transfer to the State
- The Martha Barksdale Papers, 1918-1974
- The Provisional List of Alumni, 1693-1888
- Ringing Far and Near: Student Music and Song at William & Mary
- A Directory and Handbook of the City of Williamsburg/James City County, 1898
- It's Really Tough to Get Angry Six Times a Week: The Cartoons of Hugh Haynie
- A Manuscripts and Rare Books Sampler
- "The Petticoat Invasion": Women at William & Mary 1918-1945