New Material, 2011.001-2011.050
Well, I have gotten pretty far behind on updating you all on the new and exciting materials that have recently come into the Special Collections Research Center. But no more! In a few quick posts, I shall updated you on all of these wonderful new materials.
- Margaret Hudson Diary, 1886 (Mss. Acc. 2011.009): Diary, 1886, of Margaret Hudson on her trip to the 1886 Liverpool Exposition in England. The first 20 pages of the volume are diary entries, while the rest is a journal of expenses and notes.
- Diary (Panama), 1935-1936 (Mss. Acc. 2011.010): Diary, 1935-1936, of an unknown woman on a trip to Panama. Entries include descriptions of the country, the people she meets, and an illness that she contracts while there. She also describes her voyage back to the United States, her treatment, and her travels through Los Angeles, California.
- Phillip Coddington Letters, 1951 (Mss. Acc. 2011.011): Letters, 1951, of Phillip Coddington, a Captain in the United States Army, written to his wife. Most of the letters are written from Germany, while some are written from Texas and New York. Coddington served as a dentist during the Korean War, but it seems that he was never stationed in Korea itself.
- Ridell Family Papers, 1943-1945 (Mss. Acc. 2011.022): The Ridell Family papers is primarily correspondence between Robert Calvin Ridell and his parents in Kerny, Nebraska. There is also correspondence from other family members, friends, and others. Ridell is nearly always addressed as Calvin. Ridell was a member of the United States Navy and correspondence dates from his time in training and while he was deployed at sea during World War II. Much of the correspondence and other printed material in the collection is from 1943-1946.
- Billington and Whalley Industrial Cooperative Society Ledger, 1895-1905 (Mss. Acc. 2011.024): Ledger, 1895-1905, of the Billington and Whalley Industrial Cooperative Society of Blackburn, United Kingdom. Contains records of purchases, names of the customers, and cost of items. Items sold include elastic, relish, tea, and other industrial materials and foodstuffs.
- Bedford County (Va.) Collection, 1750-1850 (Mss. Acc. 2011.027): Contains papers, circa 1750 to 1850, relating to the County of Bedford, Virginia. Some of the papers may relate to the County Superior Court since many empty envelopes are addressed to the Clerk of the County Superior Court. Several families are represented: Bigger Family, Dennis Family and Merriman Family. Most of the material cannot be linked to a particular family or to the Clerk of the Superior Court. Includes correspondence, licenses, receipts, invoices, indentures, letters, poems, and other items.
- Sarah Ladd Diary, 1862 (Mss. Acc. 2011.028): Diary, 1862, of Sarah Ladd of Portland, Maine. Ladd was a teenager at the time that she wrote this diary and attended the Willis School. Topics include church; family life, including being grounded; and neighbors going to fight in the Civil War.
- American Legion, Williamsburg Post #39, Records, 1967-circa 1980s (Mss. Acc. 2011.032): Contains records, 1967-circa 1980s, of the Williamsburg Post of the American Legion. Includes two printed histories of the Williamsburg post, a photograph of its members, and a poster encouraging people to join the American Legion.
- Modern Languages Poster and Flyers (Acc. 2011.001): An addition to both the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures Records and the University Archives Poster Collection.
- Additions to the Charles Kendrick Papers (Acc. 2011.002 and 2011.016)
- Theta Delta Chi Achievement Award (Acc. 2011.003): An addition to the University Archives Artifact Collection.
- Cam-O Corp. TLR Camera (Acc. 2011.004) and Cam-O Corp. TLR Camera Bag (Acc. 2011.005): Additions to the University Archives Artifact Collection.
- Addition to the Frank Shatz Papers (Mss. Acc. 2011.006)
- Blueprints (Acc. 2011.007-.008, 2011.013, and 2011.030-.031): Additions to the Facilities Management Records.
- James Taylor drawing, "Rear View of William and Mary College" & Yorktown Fortifications (Acc. 2011.012): A two-sided drawing of an August 17, 1862, rear view of the Sir Christopher Wren Building at the College of William and Mary on one side and on the other side is a drawing of the fortifications at Yorktown. The drawing was formerly part of the Becker Collection. An addition to the Civil War Collection.
- Beach Towel with WM Seal (Acc. 2011.014): An addition to the University Archives Artifact Collection.
- Theta Delta Chi Glass (Acc. 2011.015): An addition to the University Archives Artifact Collection.
- Plastic William and Mary Football (Acc. 2011.017): An addition to the University Archives Artifact Collection.
- Robert Gilchrist Robb Letters (Acc. 2011.018): Contains letters, 1892, from Robert Gilchrist Robb to his mother and to Bernard Robb. There are also programs, 1944, from Bruton Parish Church. An addition to the Robb-Bernard Papers.
- Captain Christopher Newport Chapter Records (Acc. 2011.019): Contains records of the Captain Christopher Newport Chapter of the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, based in Roanoke, Virginia. Their chapter disbanded and their records transferred to the Williamsburg chapter. An addition to the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century. Virginia Society Records.
- Benjamin S. Ewell Diploma (Acc. 2011.020): Contains the diploma, 1832, of Benjamin Stoddert Ewell from the United States Military Academy at West Point. An addition to the Benjamin Stoddert Ewell Papers.
- Community Summer Recreation Program Brouchure (Acc. 2011.021): Contains a list of activities for white boys, white girls, African American boys, and African American girls. An addition to the Williamsburg (Va.) Ephemera Collection.
- Addition to the Raymond W. Vincent Papers (Acc. 2011.023)
- Addition to the Hugh Haynie Papers (Acc. 2011.025): Contains an original cartoon regarding the treatment of naval officers and their spouses and accompanying newspaper clippings.
- Middle Plantation Club Directory (Acc. 2011.026): An addition to the Middle Plantation Club Records.
- Randall Hawthorne Photographs (Acc. 2011.029): 5" x 7" color print photographs and color negatives.
Scope and Contents: Contains print and negative photographs of various events of the Mens and Womens Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field teams at the College of William and Mary. Some of the events documeted in the photographs are the Colonial Relays, the Colonial Athletic Association Championships, as well as individual track meets. The photographs include both individual and team shots. An addition to the Randall Hawthorne Papers.
- FASA program and drawing (Acc. 2011.033): Contains the program "We Like to Eat: A Collection of Favorite Recipes Submitted by Your Fellow FASA Members," and an ink drawing of "What Does FASA Mean to You" from a FASA retreat. An addition to the Filipino American Student Association (FASA) Records.
- Arizona Heritage Preservation Month Poster, National Park Week Poster, Mayan Hieroglyphs Poster, Almost Ancestors Poster, American Vernacular Landscapes Poster, Southeastern Indian Basketry Poster, Phillipine Dance Group Poster, Map of Carlsbad Caverns Poster, Indian Art Poster by B. Penn, Indian Braves print by Jospeh Henry Sharp, Hohokam prehistoric pottery poster, Fajada Butte at Sunset poster, Devil's Tower National Monument Poster, VA Dept. of Historic Resources Archeology Month Posters, Aztec Calendar Poster (Acc. 2011.034-.048): Additions to the Theodore Reinhart Papers.
- Meridian Coffeehouse Logbooks (Acc. 2011.049): Contains logbooks featuring original artwork and entries by customers of the student-run Meridian Coffeehouse. The logbooks are arranged by semester and include the specific dates for most of the entries. An addition to the Meridian Coffeehouse Records.
- Economic Development Drawings (Acc. 2011.050): Artist renderings and maps in poor to fair condition
Scope and Contents: Contains artist renderings and maps used by the Office of Economic Development during the Williamsburg Crossroads project, a joint venture between the College of William and Mary and the Casey family. The project helped to development the area along Monticello avenue between Ironbound Rd. to the east and News road in the west, including the development of the 199 highway. An addition to the Office of Economic Development Records, circa 1970-2006.