All W&M classes are being held remotely through the end of the semester. Residence halls closed for the 2020 spring semester on March 25. Employees should work remotely. While the university is still operating, facilities are locked, accessible by electronic or manual key to those who require entry. For university updates, visit the W&M website.
President Katherine A. Rowe will host a series of virtual Community Conversations about the impacts of COVID-19 on our community beginning March 27 at 2 p.m.
Changes to Operations
- Hours: All campus libraries are closed through the end of the spring 2020 semester. All library staff are working remotely.
- Expanded online chat: Librarians are available via live chat 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday. (Updated May 13th)
- Book returns: You can return books through the book drop-off at the front entrance of Swem, or behind Swem at the drive-up book drop. We are extending due dates and waiving fines, so you may also return your books when you return to campus for commencement or in-person classes. Check out our FAQ for more information.
Faculty Support for Remote Teaching & Online Learning
The Studio for Teaching & Learning Innovation (STLI) will be partnering with W&M Libraries and IT to provide solutions to aid course continuation. We have developed an online portal of resources and teaching tips that faculty can access to provide the operational support needed. In addition to the web resources and tutorials provided, we are offering webinars and virtual drop-in sessions for individual support. We encourage you to explore the Instructional Resilience website and tutorials provided.
Remote Resources and Services
When the library is closed, there are many ways the Libraries can provide you with expert help and services. Services include: librarian consultations, librarian-designed research assignments, interlibrary loan, and more.
Faculty who need access to books, articles, and films for their students can request them through the reserve request form. We will buy electronic licenses when possible, and put materials into Blackboard. Because of high demand, we are limiting this service to course materials and cannot offer it to individual students. If you need research related materials, please use InterLibrary Loan.
The Libraries provide the W&M community with access to lots of online resources, including streaming video, e-books, e-journals, streaming music, and more! Learn more at our Remote Resources guide.
Support for Students
Librarians are available via live chat 9 AM-8 PM Monday-Friday to answer research questions, advise on assignments and provide support to students. Students can also make virtual research appointments, which will be held over Zoom or phone while the library buildings are closed.
The Office of Academic Advising has developed tips for thriving in the distance-learning environment.
Changes to Events
- Cypher VI, W&M's annual hack-a-thon, has been postponed until Fall 2020.
- Botetourt Book Talk featuring Nathan Raab schedueld for Tuesday, April 14 is canceled.
- Opening Reception for the Scholarship on Display exhibit scheduled for Wednesday, April 15 has been postponed to Fall 2020.