Laptop broken? Out of battery life? Check out a Macbook from Swem. These check out for 6 hours to get you through to your next class. Find the new self-service kiosk on the first floor in Swem Library. The kiosk features 24 MacBook Air computers and is available to W&M students during the library’s operating hours.
What’s on the laptops?
Each MacBook Air comes equipped with:
- macOS Catalina
- Webcam and Zoom
- Office 365
- Accessibility features
- Voice control
- Voice over (built-in screen reader)
- Text to Speech
- Mac applications, including:
- Photo Booth
What you need to know:
- All you need in order to check out a laptop is a valid W&M ID. Simply swipe your ID at the kiosk to get started.
- Laptops have a maximum checkout of 6 hours.
- Regardless of the maximum checkout time allotment, all laptops must be returned by the time the library closes.
- Students may leave the library with a kiosk laptop but must remain on-campus while the laptop is in their possession.
- Patrons may only check out one laptop at a time.
- As laptops are available on a first come, first serve basis. No holds, reservations, or renewals are permitted.
- Laptops must be fully charged in between each use and, as such, may be unavailable for up to 4 hours between uses.
- Swem Library is not liable for any loss or damage to users’ personal electronic devices.
Terms & Conditions for checking out a laptop from the kiosk:
- You will return the laptop on time.
- Keep food and beverages away from laptops.
- You will be held financially responsible for any and all damage that occurs to the laptop while it is checked out to you. If lost, you will be responsible for the replacement cost of the laptop up to $1000.
- It’s a good idea to do a brief inspection of the laptop upon checking out/returning the laptop. If you notice anything is out of the ordinary, take the laptop to the circulation desk to notify our staff.
- You will save any documents and other work to external storage such as a USB flash drive, cloud storage, or to a personal email account. You understand that all files and downloads will be deleted when the laptop is returned to the kiosk.
Note: Due to the self-service nature of the kiosk, we cannot guarantee sanitation of the laptop. Disinfectant wipes will be available at the kiosk to patrons and we recommend wiping down your laptop when you check it out.