The Special Collections Research Center of William & Mary Libraries is pleased to announce that it will award up to four travel grants of up to $1,500 each to faculty, graduate students, and/or independent researchers to support use of its collections. Writers, creative and performing artists, filmmakers and journalists are welcome to apply for the research travel grants.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to discuss their research project and the collections that might support it with Special Collections staff before submitting an application.
A successful candidate for the 2019-2020 Travel Scholarship will:
- Reside beyond a 100-mile radius of Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Not be a current William & Mary employee or student.
- Submit a research plan that draws heavily on the manuscripts, rare books, and/or university archives in the Special Collections Research Center.
- Submit a brief budget with anticipated expenses.
- Commit to schedule their research visit for the 2019–2020 cycle (May 1, 2019-April 30, 2020).
- Agree to submit a brief research report (1-2 pages) on your findings and experiences.
- Consider placing any published work resulting from your research into William & Mary's institutional repository, ScholarWorks.
- Participate in the intellectual life of the university by either making a public presentation of research findings and experiences, meeting with faculty and students with similar research interests, or both.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- The merit of the research plan;
- The demonstrated need for in-person access to the holdings of the Special Collections Research Center.
How to Apply
To apply for a Research Travel Grant, please submit the following:
A brief research plan (500 words maximum) that describes the proposed project, lists the specific materials to be consulted, and explains how these materials will benefit your research. Please name the document: LastName_FirstName_research_plan.pdf.
- A brief budget of anticipated expenses. Please name the document: LastName_FirstName_budget.pdf.
- Current curriculum vitae. Please name the document LastName_FirstName_cv.pdf.
Send all application materials by the end of the day on April 1 to email@example.com with the email subject line: 2019-2020 Research Travel Grants. Please contact Special Collections staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090 with any questions.
- February 11, 2019: Application period opens.
- April 1, 2019: All application materials must be received by this date.
- April 30, 2019: Successful applicants are notified by email.
- May 1, 2019: Grant cycle begins.
- April 30, 2020: Deadline for submitting research report.
What expenses does the grant cover?
Grant money may be used for the following:
- Transportation expenses (including air, train or bus tickets; car rental; mileage using a personal vehicle; parking fees);
- Accommodations (daily standard range of $108 for Williamsburg/James City and York Counties, Virginia);
- Meals & Incidental Expenses (daily standard per diem rate of $64 for Williamsburg/James City and York Counties, Virginia).
Expenses are reimbursed as they are incurred, but must adhere to the William & Mary Travel Guidelines. The submission of a William & Mary substitute W-9 Cardinal form is required. Original receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.