Mission and Purpose
Earl Gregg Swem Library actively participates in the teaching and research missions of the College of William and Mary by providing services, collections, staff and facilities that enrich and inform the educational experience, and promote a lifelong commitment to learning.
To ensure that all of our library patrons have full access to these resources, the library provides an environment conducive to research and study.
Library users should conduct themselves in a manner that preserves the rights of others, maintains the effective operations of the library, and protects library materials and property.
All library users are entitled to
- courteous assistance from library staff
- access to library resources
- a quiet research and study environment
- a clean physical environment.
All library users have the obligation to
- interact courteously with other users and library staff
- maintain a quiet research and study environment, free of noise, distractions, and other offensive interpersonal behavior. Please see the library's Cell Phones Policy.
- preserve accessibility to library materials by:
- providing appropriate IDs or library cards, as requested
- checking out materials properly
- returning materials on time and to the proper location
- returning in-library materials to the proper location
- responding promptly to all library notices
- keep library materials and property clean, unmarked, and intact
- maintain library computer systems by refraining from unauthorized accessing and altering of any library computer system, network computer program, or data
- abide by copyright laws and/or the College's policies on copyright
- maintain a clean environment by not smoking; by using only covered beverage containers; and by disposing of trash appropriately. Please see the library's Food and Drink Policy.
- use only authorized areas of the library during library hours; exit the building when requested, such as during emergency situations or drills
- ensure the safety of all persons in the library by abstaining from activities inside or outside the library that would endanger others, including bringing unauthorized weapons, vehicles or equipment, animals, and other items onto library premises